Power of Reading - Barnsley
This project is run in partnership with Positive Regard Teaching School Alliance.
Course fee: £1450 for the first place and discounted to £950 for each additional place.
The Power of Reading and Power of Reading in the Early Years from CLPE are proven to raise children's literacy achievement. Established for 13 years, over 4500 teachers have taken part in the training which enhances teachers’ knowledge of quality literature and develops their ability to use it creatively in the classroom.
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (20 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers including Philip Gross, Bethan Woolvin, Linda Newbery, Piers Torday and Chitra Soundar
The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
For further information about the Barnsley project please contact:
Holly Grimshaw, Positive Regard Teaching School Alliance
To book places: please email: [email protected].
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager .
For general information about the Power of Reading, please contact:
Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager (CLPE) by email: [email protected]
or tel: 020 7902 2295.
"Attitudes to reading and writing improved with high quality writing being produced. Engaged reluctant boys. Children appreciate quality texts”Year 6 teacher, Holy Rood School, Barnsley PoR training 2017-18
“Children are thoroughly engaged in lessons. The reading area is very popular. More children are reading on a regular basis at home.”Year 2 teacher, Sutton Park Primary School, Barnsley PoR training 2017-18