Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text - Years 3 and 4
This one day course will develop practitioner’s subject knowledge of how to build the Lower Key Stage 2 curriculum around quality texts, carefully chosen to link with other curriculum areas. Particular attention will be given to supporting the development of children’s language and critical thinking across the curriculum, sharing how knowledge gained from core texts in literacy sessions can support cross-curricular learning and how to enrich knowledge in other subject areas to develop a greater depth of understanding and response in reading and writing in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Year 3 and 4 Teachers, Phase Leaders/Coordinators.
What you will learn:
- Ways to link high quality texts with multiple subjects across the curriculum for a cohesive and enriched learning experience.
- How to enrich and expand children’s language using a range of creative approaches to link literacy with wider cross-curricular learning.
- Ways to deepen children’s critical thinking and to develop learning in all areas of the classroom.
- In depth creative teaching approaches to enhance higher order thinking to ensure progress and attainment for all children in reading, writing and spoken language across the curriculum.
- How to enhance knowledge from other curriculum areas e.g. history and geography, by providing cross-curricular links with literacy.
What participants will receive?
All of our planning the curriculum around high quality texts courses include one high quality text with associated detailed planning to allow teachers to implement course ideas and strategies immediately in the classroom.
- Recognise how to support and develop children’s language and critical thinking across Years 3 and 4 across a range of curriculum areas.
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality texts and planning activities around them to support the development of subject related knowledge, language and vocabulary across curriculum areas in Years 3 and 4.
- Gain an understanding of how to plan a range of activities across the curriculum to support a greater depth of knowledge about reading and writing and increased progress across Years 3 and 4.
This course will be led by Darren Matthews.
“The course has allowed me more freedom to approach texts in a non-linear and non-prescriptive way”KS2 Teacher 2018
“Back in the classroom I will be able to give the children more opportunity to free write, be creative and to further become critical thinkers”KS2 Teacher 2018
"Teaching literacy creatively does not mean short-changing the teaching of the essential knowledge, skills and understanding of the subject; rather, it involves teaching literacy skills and developing knowledge about language in creative contexts that explicitly invite learners to engage imaginatively, nurture their commitment and stretch them cognitively and affectively.”Teresa Cremin