Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text - Years 1 and 2
Due to high demand our November dates for this course are sold out but booking for March is now open.
This one day course will develop practitioner’s subject knowledge of how to build the Key Stage 1 curriculum around quality texts, carefully chosen to link with other curriculum areas. Particular attention will be given to supporting the development of children’s language and critical thinking across the curriculum, sharing how knowledge gained from core texts in literacy sessions can support cross-curricular learning and how to enrich knowledge in other subject areas to develop children’s understanding and response in reading and writing, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Year 1 and 2 Teachers, Phase Leaders/Coordinators.
What you will learn:
- Ways to link high quality texts with multiple subjects across the curriculum for a cohesive and enriched learning experience.
- How to enrich and expand children’s language using a range of creative approaches to link literacy with wider cross-curricular learning.
- Ways to deepen children’s critical thinking and to develop learning in all areas of the classroom.
- How to extend creative skills and critical thinking to support children’s engagement and attainment in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Effective approaches to plan and develop a broad rich curriculum to ensure progress and attainment for all children.
What participants will receive:
All of our planning the curriculum around high quality texts courses include 1 high quality text with associated detailed planning to allow teachers to implement course ideas and strategies immediately in the classroom.
- Recognise how to support and develop children’s language and critical thinking across KS1 across a range of curriculum areas.
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality texts and planning activities around them to support the development of language and vocabulary across curriculum areas in Key Stage 1.
- Gain an understanding of how to plan a range of activities to support children’s progress in reading and writing across Year 1 and 2.
This course will be led by CLPE's Katie Myles.
“I was looking for a way to deliver the KS1 curriculum in a “holistic” way which this training gave as well as allowing a creative approach in reading and learning which is engaging AND age-appropriate.”KS1 teacher, 2018
“A great refresher of known techniques and introduction to new ones”KS1 teacher, 2018
"Teaching literacy creatively does not mean short-changing the teaching of the essential knowledge, skills and understanding of the subject; rather, it involves teaching literacy skills and developing knowledge about language in creative contexts that explicitly invite learners to engage imaginatively, nurture their commitment and stretch them cognitively and affectively.”Teresa Cremin