Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text in the Early Years
This one-day course will develop practitioner’s subject knowledge of how to build the EYFS curriculum around quality texts, carefully chosen to meet the needs and interests of children. Particular attention will be given to supporting the development of children’s language in talk and sustained shared thinking and how to support children in using and applying language across areas of learning in line with the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Early Years Teachers, phase leaders/coordinators.
What you will learn:
- How to build curriculum-led classroom activities around high quality texts to extend/develop children’s language;
- The best ways to create contexts and develop activities that support EYFS children’s talk and thinking across areas of learning in the EYFS;
- How to model and support children’s own development of language across the curriculum to enrich children’s vocabulary and provide depth of understanding;
- A range of creative approaches to support children’s engagement throughout the EYFS curriculum.
What participants will receive?
All of our planning the curriculum around high quality texts courses include 1 high quality text with associated detailed planning to allow teachers to implement course ideas and strategies immediately in the classroom.
Participants are provided with literacy strategies specific to Early Years provision and will:
- Recognise how to support and develop children’s language and thinking in the Early Years;
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality texts and planning activities around them to support the development of language and vocabulary across all areas of learning in the EYFS;
- Gain an understanding of how to encourage and stimulate a range of activities to encourage children’s independent reading and writing across Nursery and Reception.
This course will be led by Jonny Rodgers.
“I have so many ideas for how to develop my curriculum to enhance the children’s learning and development and encourage more writing – especially for boys!”Early Years Teacher, 2018
“I feel so much more confident to deliver a rich literacy curriculum, to engage the children actively and make our classroom reading rich. My excitement will feed through to the children and my hope is to develop more emotional language and understanding.”Early Years Teacher, 2018
"Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials (books, poetry and other written materials) to ignite their interest. "Statutory Framework for the EYFS 2014