Language and Grammar in a Rich Reading Curriculum
This in-depth four day course focuses on developing a whole school, progressive English curriculum which contextualises the teaching of grammar, punctuation and vocabulary across Key Stage 1 and 2, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum. Participants will learn how to develop language competency through rich talk and reading provision and how this leads to children’s knowledge, understanding and application of grammatical concepts and terminology in their own writing.
What you will learn:
This four day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will focus on:
- Day one: Developing competency in spoken language.
- Day two: Contextualising grammar teaching through affective reader response.
- Day three: Supporting children to grasp grammatical concepts and terminology.
- Day four: Making controlled writing choice and writing at greater depth.
What participants will receive?
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a carefully selected pack of teacher publications an anthology to support subject knowledge and children’s books and resources, including detailed planning, to successfully implement practice back in the classroom and across the school.
Participants will be provided with the knowledge and practical tools to support children’s progress in language and grammar within a rich English curriculum:
- Explore the impact of language competency on children’s knowledge, understanding and application of grammatical concepts and terminology
- Develop knowledge of how quality texts can be used to teach language, vocabulary and grammar in rich contexts
- Learn teaching approaches that enable children to investigate how language and grammar can be used to create specific effects.
- Plan for authentic writing opportunities that enable children to show depth of understanding and make controlled writing choices for purpose, audience and form.
- Explore how to support the demands of a grammar curriculum through children’s experience of a range of writing forms.
- Reflect on whole school practice and use this to develop a secure vision for the effective teaching of language, vocabulary and grammar across the school.
This course will be led by CLPE's Anjali Patel.
“It is a brilliantly well researched course with a great mix of research based evidence and practical activities to take and use straight away.”Course Participant, 2018.
“The children now pick out grammatical features when we read a text and can confidently use them in their own writing.”Course Participant, 2018.