Language and Grammar in a Rich Reading Curriculum
Please note, due to COVID-19 restrictions we are delaying face to face training until March, however we are now going to include an additional introductory webinar in January for this course.
The new dates planned for Language and Grammar in a Rich Reading Curriculum are as follows:
- Introductory webinar – Wednesday 27th January 4pm - 5.30pm
- Face to face Day 1 – Wednesday 24th March 10am - 4pm
- Face to face Day 2 – Wednesday 19th May 10am - 4pm
- Face to face Day 3 – Wednesday 23rd June 10am - 4pm
- Face to face Day 4 – 14th July 10am - 4pm
This in-depth four day course focuses on developing a whole school, progressive English curriculum which contextualises the teaching of grammar, punctuation and vocabulary across Key Stage 1 and 2, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum. Participants will learn how to develop language competency through rich talk and reading provision and how this leads to children’s knowledge, understanding and application of grammatical concepts and terminology in their own writing, supporting the requirements of the end of KS2 assessments. During the course teachers are supported to plan authentic writing opportunities where children can show depth of understanding, make controlled writing choices appropriate to purpose, audience and form and therefore write at greater depth.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website.
What you will learn:
This four day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will focus on:
- Day one: Developing competency in spoken language.
- Day two: Contextualising grammar teaching through effective reader response.
- Day three: Supporting children to grasp grammatical concepts and terminology.
- Day four: Making controlled writing choice and writing at greater depth.
What participants will receive?
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a carefully selected pack of teacher publications an anthology to support subject knowledge and children’s books and resources, including detailed planning, to successfully implement practice back in the classroom and across the school.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website. This resource gives your whole school access to detailed literacy planning for over 220 high-quality children’s books,1,500 examples of classroom practice and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Participants will be provided with the knowledge and practical tools to support children’s progress in language and grammar within a rich English curriculum:
- Explore the impact of language competency on children’s knowledge, understanding and application of grammatical concepts and terminology
- Develop knowledge of how quality texts can be used to teach language, vocabulary and grammar in rich contexts
- Learn teaching approaches that enable children to investigate how language and grammar can be used to create specific effects.
- Plan for authentic writing opportunities that enable children to show depth of understanding and make controlled writing choices for purpose, audience and form.
- Explore how to support the demands of a grammar curriculum through children’s experience of a range of writing forms.
- Reflect on whole school practice and use this to develop a secure vision for the effective teaching of language, vocabulary and grammar across the school.
This course will be led by CLPE's Anjali Patel.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
“It is a brilliantly well researched course with a great mix of research based evidence and practical activities to take and use straight away.”Course Participant, 2018.
“The children now pick out grammatical features when we read a text and can confidently use them in their own writing.”Course Participant, 2018.