An introduction to Phonics in a Rich Reading Curriculum: Practice and provision in KS1 - Webinar
This webinar is being run on two different dates:
14th May 2021 - 3:30pm - 5:30pm
26th May 2021 - 10:00am - 12:00pm
Please select the date from the drop down menu at the top and select the date you require.
This session will build on the knowledge and practice from the EYFS session and explores how to revisit and revise the basic code in Year 1, and extend children’s skills of listening to, discriminating and vocalising phonemes, blending and segmenting by looking at consonant clusters at the beginnings and ends of words. We will then go on to exploring the complexities of the English spelling system, looking at the complex code and how to develop children’s knowledge of alternative grapheme-phoneme representations and alternative pronunciations for known graphemes to develop skilled word reading and greater accuracy in spelling. We will also explore ways in which to support children to use and apply these skills in the context of quality texts and rich and purposeful writing opportunities across the provision.
This webinar is part of a two session package of webinars which provide participants with an introduction to the CLPE approach to phonics across EYFS and KS1. Schools can either book leaders on to both sessions for a complete overview, or book individual teachers on to the sessions that applies to the phases they teach. Find out more about our An introduction to Phonics in a Rich Reading Curriculum: Practice and provision in EYFS - Webinar
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of how phonic knowledge develops from Early Years Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1
- Exploring the key terminology, skills and strategies which should be developed in KS1
- How to choose and use quality children’s literature to support the use and application of phonics in KS1
Focus texts for this online course:
- My Friend Earth by Patricia MacLachlan and Francesca Sanna
- Clem and Crab by Fiona Lumbers
- Kites by Simon Mole and Oamul Lu
- I am a Tiger by Karl Newson and Ross Collins
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. If you have any issues, please email [email protected]