Group Reading in KS2
This course will support teachers to plan for increased engagement and attainment in reading across Key Stage 2. Teachers attending the course will receive two high quality texts and detailed planning grids so that they can implement ideas from the course immediately in their own classrooms.
Participants will learn how to build a sequence of activities around core texts, targeting specific skills and strategies to improve reading fluency, comprehension and reader response.
Throughout the day, we will highlight the vital role quality children’s literature plays in supporting the journey of progression in reading, engaging children in thinking critically about texts and developing confident, competent and motivated readers.
The training day will focus on the following key areas:
- What does the reading journey look like?
- What do we mean by guiding reading?
- Learning to identify and teach targeted next steps
- Developing dialogic reading in group sessions.
- Exploring the potential of key texts, exemplified through teaching sequences to support moderately fluent, fluent and independent readers.
"I feel I am now able to provide meaningful experiences of guided reading within my classroom. Truly inspirational! Thank you for showing me how to make my children love reading like I do!"Teacher, 2017