Excellence in Literacy for NQTs
This four day course provides Newly Qualified Teachers with essential subject knowledge and understanding of children’s progress and development in talk, reading and writing in order to teach and assess English in line with the current National Curriculum expectations. The course is highly practical and investigates ways to use a text-based approach to plan well-chosen activities to support children’s progress in all aspects of reading and writing, using high-quality children’s literature.
What you will learn:
This four day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Day one: Developing Language and Grammar
- Day two: Phonics and Spelling
- Day three: Teaching Reading
- Day four: Teaching Writing
What participants will receive?
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a resource pack containing an anthology of related reading to deepen their subject knowledge; auditing tools to evaluate the impact of current classroom practice; and children’s books with detailed planning to support immediate implementation of exemplified approaches back in the classroom.
Newly Qualified Teachers will have extensive input on research, best practice and subject knowledge and will:
- Develop subject knowledge in teaching English which meet the requirements of the National Curriculum in authentic contexts.
- Look at the role high quality texts play in supporting all aspects of language and literacy development.
- Learn how phonics and early reading can be taught through a rich reading curriculum.
- Explore ways in which vocabulary is best developed and its role in supporting later success in spelling.
- Develop a classroom culture of reading for pleasure in which children are taught reading skills and strategies through rich reading provision.
- Develop a classroom of writers in which children are supported and inspired to write for a range of purposes.
- Evaluate the impact of current classroom practice through engagement in practical, classroom-based research.
- Develop subject knowledge in how children progress in talk, reading and writing and build on this to plan for all learners.
This course will be led by Jonny Rodgers.