Excellence in Literacy for NQTs
This four and a half day course provides Newly Qualified Teachers with essential subject knowledge and understanding of children’s progress and development in talk, reading and writing in order to teach and assess English in line with the current National Curriculum expectations. The course is highly practical and investigates ways to use a text-based approach to plan well-chosen activities to support children’s progress in all aspects of reading and writing, using high-quality children’s literature.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website.
What you will learn:
This four day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Day one: Developing Language and Grammar
- Day two: Phonics and Spelling
- Day three: Teaching Reading
- Day four: Teaching Writing
Participants attending the full four day programme will also have the opportunity to attend a final half day session, which will provide an opportunity for NQT’s to reflect on their learning throughout the course alongside their mentors. NQT’s will be able to reflect on their strengths in the teaching of literacy and identify areas for development in their following year of teaching. Effective ways to support further professional development will be outlined by the CLPE teacher as part of the session. This will give a valuable opportunity for mentors to gain further insight into their NQT’s progress against their teacher targets, guided by the experience and expertise at CLPE, and to focus on priorities for their next year of teaching.
What participants will receive?
As well as four and a half days training, all participants will receive a resource pack containing an anthology of related reading to deepen their subject knowledge; auditing tools to evaluate the impact of current classroom practice; and children’s books with detailed planning to support immediate implementation of exemplified approaches back in the classroom.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website worth £350. This resource gives your whole school access to detailed literacy planning for over 220 high-quality children’s books,1,500 examples of classroom practice and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Newly Qualified Teachers will have extensive input on research, best practice and subject knowledge and will:
- Develop subject knowledge in teaching English which meet the requirements of the National Curriculum in authentic contexts.
- Look at the role high quality texts play in supporting all aspects of language and literacy development.
- Learn how phonics and early reading can be taught through a rich reading curriculum.
- Explore ways in which vocabulary is best developed and its role in supporting later success in spelling.
- Develop a classroom culture of reading for pleasure in which children are taught reading skills and strategies through rich reading provision.
- Develop a classroom of writers in which children are supported and inspired to write for a range of purposes.
- Evaluate the impact of current classroom practice through engagement in practical, classroom-based research.
- Develop subject knowledge in how children progress in talk, reading and writing and build on this to plan for all learners.
This course will be led by Jonny Rodgers.