Developing the Role of the English Subject Leader
This four day course provides professional and inclusive approaches to develop a clear vision for literacy teaching across the whole school, in line with the National Curriculum. Ideal for those new to the role or existing leaders, participants will be given the tools to effectively use their knowledge and resources to improve standards of learning and achievement for all pupils across the school.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website.
What you will learn:
This four-day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Day 1 - Developing an effective Curriculum for English.
- Day 2 - Developing practice and subject knowledge in reading across your school.
- Day 3 - Developing practice and subject knowledge in writing across your school.
- Day 4 - Monitoring and evaluating practice and provision and ensuring progress for all children.
What participants will receive?
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a book pack containing an anthology of related reading and three theoretical handbooks, to deepen their subject knowledge.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website worth £350. This resource gives your whole school access to detailed literacy planning for over 220 high-quality children’s books,1,500 examples of classroom practice and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Leaders will have extensive input on research, best practice and subject knowledge and will:
- Develop a clear and inclusive vision for English learning and progress across their whole school, based on relevant research and best practice
- Understand what progress in reading and writing looks like and how to plan to achieve it
- Recognise the relationship between reading, talking and writing and how to plan for this across the curriculum
- Receive tools to support effective monitoring and evaluation and build on practice to raise the engagement and attainment of all learners
- Identify how to support their staff to implement their vision in the classroom.
This course will be led by CLPE's Katie Myles.
"I am much more confident about my vision and communicating that to staff. I have a much greater understanding of the pedagogy that underpins reading and writing and therefore can inform staff more effectively."
School Literacy Leader, 2018
"I have developed confidence in my role and how to share and model to others. I have a wider knowledge of texts and how to vary teaching."School Literacy Leader, 2018