Developing Early Readers in KS2 - Bradford
This two-day course will develop an understanding of how to teach and apply phonics in KS2 to ensure progress in reading and writing. Teachers will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency. They will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities.
Cost per participant
• £450 A minimum of 20 delegates from one or more schools is required for this programme to be delivered locally . Exceed Teaching Schools is seeking to facilitate a viable cohort for local delivery by encouraging schools to express their interest in this programme.
To express interest please refer to Exceed Teaching Schools
• KS2 Teachers and Literacy Leaders
• Pupils in KS2 who are in the early stages of reading development
Number of days of face-to-face training provided
• 2 full training days
Venue for training
• Holybrook Primary School, Bradford, the training campus of Exceed Teaching Schools
• A minimum of 20 delegates from one or more schools is required for this programme to be delivered locally
Additional resources provided
• Teachers will receive an extensive resource pack featuring 5 high quality texts and planning ideas for each of these to exemplify how to reinforce the teaching of phonics within the wider reading curriculum.
What is the evidence-base for the content and approach adopted or promoted by this programme?
The programme is informed and shaped by CLPE’s longstanding work with schools in developing children as readers and is rooted in the principles of the Reading and Writing Scales