Developing Early Readers in Key Stage 2
This two day course will develop an understanding of how to teach and apply phonics in KS2 to ensure progress in reading and writing. Participants will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency. They will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities.
All participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts and their associated detailed planning to support the teaching of phonics within the wider reading curriculum.
What you will learn:
This two day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover the following key areas:
- Develop their understanding of the process of reading and writing
- Identify and address gaps in phonic development
- Understand the importance of early phonological development and providing meaningful activities to support learners
- Recognise the impact that the systematic teaching of phonics can have on children’s decoding and writing skills
- Clarify subject knowledge around the terminology related to phonics teaching and the expectations related to the pace and progression of learning
- Become familiar with the basic phonic code and teaching the core skills of blending and segmenting
- Consider how to plan to meet the needs of children as part of a rich reading curriculum
- Learn how to move children into reading and spelling fluency
- Become familiar with the complex phonics code and investigative approaches for helping children to understand patterns for reading and spelling
- Consider how to provide a broad and balanced reading curriculum to support the phonics programme
- Discover how to use quality texts to promote phonics and language learning
What participants will receive?
As well as two full days training, all participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts and their associated detailed planning to support implementation of what you have learned back in the classroom.
Participants will be provided with the tools to implement a quality writing provision across their school and will:
- Explore the continuum of development in reading to gain a sound understanding of the needs of Early Readers in Key Stage 2 and the practice and provision that best supports their needs.
- Understand how to respond to the differing needs of early readers in Key Stage 2.
- Explore how to use quality children’s literature aimed at the emotional literacy levels of Key Stage 2 children to teach reading skills and strategies as well as building motivation, confidence, self-esteem and reader identity.
- Investigate common gaps in older children’s reading experiences and how to target these with specifically chosen activities to enable progress.
- Explore how to build word recognition skills, including the use of phonics to aid reading fluency.
- Investigate a range of activities that support children at the early stages of reading in Key Stage 2 to develop fluency and build comprehension.
- Think about how to choose and use texts in their own classrooms to meet the needs of Early Readers.
This course will be led by CLPE’s Darren Matthews.
"I now feel much more confident about addressing reading issues in Key Stage 2. I'm inspired to go back to school and ensure we're using books that inspire and enthuse readers."
Course Participant, 2017