Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years
This training was formely known as Power of Reading in the Early Years.
This successful training engages teachers and children in the Early Years language and literacy curriculum with high quality books and creative teaching approaches, set within the expectations of the EYFS 2014. In its fourth year, the Power of Reading in the Early Years was developed to address the unique teaching and learning requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
This project offers in depth EYFS training in areas including talk and story, rhyme and song and outdoor texts.
Participants will gain:
• A comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles that underpin the sound and effective teaching of literacy in the early years
• Extensive, quality CPD in the approaches that are research proven to raise young childrens’ engagement and attainment
• Opportunities to network and share good practice with other practitioners
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (16 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers such as Petr Horáček
The Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years training meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Bringing the Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years training to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager
Need to arrange supply cover while you are away?
We have teamed up with Zen Educate, a smart new way to arrange cover. If you are a London school you will be able to get £100* off your first day of supply.
*Terms and conditions apply.
“Great improvements in the children’s speech and language. They are more enthusiastic to write. They show more understanding of emotions.”Early Years teacher, Farnham Common Infant School, Power of Reading in the Early Years training 2018-19
“Focusing on one book for a longer period of time enabled us to really allow the children to delve deeper into the text and gain a greater understanding and love of the books.”Early Years teacher, Temple Hill Primary Academy, Power of Reading in the Early Years training 2018-19
“The children are very excited to read and explore the same book each day. Lots of parents commented after children went home and shared experiences.”Early Years teacher, Windham Nursery School, Power of Reading in the Early Years training 2018-19