Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years
This training was formerly known as Power of Reading in the Early Years.
Consortium or school groups booking 10 places will pay just £1000 per place. Please email Gwyneth Dear to book.
This successful training engages teachers and children in the Early Years language and literacy curriculum with high quality books and creative teaching approaches, set within the expectations of the EYFS 2014. This training was developed to address the unique teaching and learning requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and offers in depth EYFS training, in areas including talk and story, rhyme and song and outdoor texts.
Participants will gain:
• A comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles that underpin the sound and effective teaching of literacy in the early years
• Extensive, quality CPD in the approaches that are research proven to raise young childrens’ engagement and attainment
• Opportunities to network and share good practice with other practitioners
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (16 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 220 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers such as Petr Horáček
The Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years training meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Bringing the Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years training to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager
Need to arrange supply cover while you are away?
We have teamed up with Zen Educate, a smart new way to arrange cover. If you are a London school you will be able to get £100* off your first day of supply.
*Terms and conditions apply.
“There is a high level of engagement and interest. Independent writing increased in my literacy area. Children are relating the story to their own experiences.”
Early Years teacher, Eastbury Community School, Closing the Vocabulary Gap training 2019-20
“The children have enjoyed the texts, learning facts & exploring new characters. Children are beginning to find meaning in the writing activities. They are starting conversations in role play areas.”
Early Years teacher, Old Bexley C of E Primary School, Closing the Vocabulary Gap training 2019 -20
“More children join in during the class talk/carpet time. There is lots of talk about the subject and making predictions. The book corner is very busy and the children read to each other. The children want to write and access free-independent writing.”
Early Years teacher, Shackleton Primary School, Closing the Vocabulary Gap training 2019 - 20