What does the Power of Reading training offer?
Our Power of Reading training and Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years (formerly known as Power of Reading in the Early Years) uses quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to support and develop a high quality literacy curriculum and a whole school love of reading and writing. Now in its 16th year, the Power of Reading has raised achievement in over 4200 schools and worked with 5500 teachers nationally, with 98% of teachers reporting the programme improved children’s engagement in reading and 97% reporting an improvement in children’s writing. The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Power of Reading Online Training
Power of Reading training, available as an online, distance learning programme began on January 2021 with:
- 8 live and interactive webinars led by CLPE’s expert teaching team. Each webinar lasts for 2 hours.
- Guidance on the very best books to engage children across the primary years
- Proven creative teaching approaches to engage teachers and children in the literacy curriculum
- A recorded webinar that gives a whole school introduction to the programme.
We distilled our flagship programme into an online version to meet your needs and train you in the texts, creative approaches and knowledge of how to use these to develop a broad, rich literacy curriculum across your school.
This 8 session training programme uses high quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to engage teachers and children in the literacy curriculum, supporting schools to nurture a whole school love of reading and writing.
"The CPD is fantastic and has really got me thinking about my department and the curriculum in a way I haven't thought of in the past. It's a real help. Thank you." PoR Online attendee 2021
Bookings are now open for 3 separate series of 8 webinars
Bookings are also open for the series of 8 webinars for Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years beginning on 6 October 2021
Power of Reading Training at our London Centre
All participants receive:
- Four full days training to develop subject knowledge and practice in developing an English Curriculum for your school or setting and teaching high quality English lessons
- Two Power of Reading book packs to enable participants to immediately implement the training in their classroom and develop their own reader response
- Whole school membership to the Power of Reading website for 12 months
- Access to more than 220 detailed teaching plans for quality children’s books for all year groups and our Take 5 home learning activities. See our resources menu on this page for sample teaching plans and curriculum maps.
Our face-to-face courses will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.