What does the Power of Reading training offer?
Our Power of Reading training and Closing the Vocabulary Gap in the Early Years (formerly known as Power of Reading in the Early Years) uses quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to support and develop a high quality literacy curriculum and a whole school love of reading and writing. Now in its 16th year, the Power of Reading has raised achievement in over 4200 schools and worked with 5500 teachers nationally, with 98% of teachers reporting the programme improved children’s engagement in reading and 97% reporting an improvement in children’s writing. The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
All participants receive:
- Four full days training to develop subject knowledge and practice in developing an English Curriculum for your school or setting and teaching high quality English lessons
- Two Power of Reading book packs to enable participants to immediately implement the training in their classroom and develop their own reader response
- Whole school membership to the Power of Reading website for 12 months
- Access to more than 220 detailed teaching plans for quality children’s books for all year groups and our Take 5 home learning activities. See our resources menu on this page for sample teaching plans and curriculum maps.
Please Note: Our scheduled programmes for Power of Reading are now sold out. We are keeping a waiting list of interested schools and if there is enough interest we may run a further programme. If you would be interested in attending Power of Reading training at our London centre, please email [email protected] and we will add you to the waiting list. There are places available for Closing the Vocablualry Gap in the Early Years taking place at our London centre. Please visit the course page to book your place.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
Power of Reading training, proven to raise children's literacy achievement is now available as an online, distance learning programme from January 2021 with:
- 8 live and interactive webinars led by CLPE’s expert teaching team. Each webinar lasts for 2 hours.
- Guidance on the very best books to engage children across the primary years
- Proven creative teaching approaches to engage teachers and children in the literacy curriculum
- A recorded webinar that gives a whole school introduction to the programme.
We’ve distilled our flagship programme into an online version to meet your needs and train you in the texts, creative approaches and knowledge of how to use these to develop a broad, rich literacy curriculum across your school.
This 8 session training programme uses high quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to engage teachers and children in the literacy curriculum, supporting schools to nurture a whole school love of reading and writing.
Find out more and book your series of interactive sessions from the following:
Please note: Participants will need to have access to our Power of Reading Membership prior to starting this training. Find out more about Power of Reading Membership for your school.