Shortlist for the CLiPPA 2023 Announced
In celebration of twenty years of the CLiPPA (CLPE's Children's Poetry Award ) 2023, the shortlist was revealed at a live online event, hosted by Chris Riddell streamed into thousands of schools across the UK. All the shortlisted poets on the shortlist gave a reading at the event. As well as celebrating outstanding poetry, the CLiPPA encourages schools to explore the shortlist with their pupils through the Shadowing Scheme, which each year prompts poetry performances in hundreds of classrooms. Children will now be choosing favourite poems from the collections and creating their own poetry performances, either solo or in groups.
The full shortlist is:
- Blow a Kiss Catch a Kiss by Joseph Coelho, illustrated by Nicola Killen, (Andersen Press),
- Choose Love by Nicola Davies, illustrated by Petr Horáček, (Graffeg),
- These are the Words by Nikita Gill, (Macmillan Children’s Books).
- Let’s Chase Stars Together, by Matt Goodfellow, (Bloomsbury Education),
- Marshmallow Clouds by Ted Kooser and Connie Wanek, illustrated by Richard Jones, (Walker Books),
Illustrator, former Waterstones Children’s Laureate and poetry anthologist Chris Riddell, who is chair of the judges, said, “Judging the CLIPPA this year was both fascinating and uplifting. The submissions reflected the wealth of talent in the field of children’s poetry and an increasing quality in design and production. The shortlist we have chosen is as broad as possible ranging from preschool to YA and beyond into beautiful books to gift to all ages.”
The winner will be announced at the CLiPPA Poetry Show, live onstage at the National Theatre, Monday 10 July, before an audience of 1000.