Announcement of the CLiPPA 2022 Shortlist
The shortlist for the CLiPPA (Centre for Literacy in Primary Education Poetry Award) 2022 has been announced at a special event at the new Manchester Poetry Library at Manchester Metropolitan University hosted by poet Ruth Awolola. Schools from across the city attended with pupils reading poems from each of the shortlisted collections on stage with shortlisted poets Valerie Bloom, Matt Goodfellow, Laura Mucha and Kate Wakeling reading their poems for the hugely enthusiastic audience.
The full shortlist is:
- Stars with Flaming Tails by Valerie Bloom, illustrated by Ken Wilson-Max,
- Being Me Poems about Thoughts, Worries and Feelings by Liz Brownlee, Matt Goodfellow and Laura Mucha, illustrated by Victoria Jane Wheeler,
- Caterpillar Cake by Matt Goodfellow, illustrated by Krina Patel-Sage,
- The Crossing, Manjeet Mann
- Cloud Soup by Kate Wakeling, illustrated by Elina Brasliņa,
The CLiPPA encourages schools to explore the shortlist with their pupils through its Shadowing Scheme, each year prompting poetry performances in hundreds of classrooms across the UK. The Shadowing Scheme is free for schools and launches on 17 May 2022.
The next date on the CLiPPA calendar is a celebration at The Globe on 20 June when shortlisted poets will perform for another live audience at the Poetry By Heart competition finals at The Globe.
The winner of the CLiPPA 2022 will be announced at a very special ceremony in central London on Friday 8 July. The venue is the Southbank Centre’s Queen Elizabeth Hall. Young winners of the 2022 Shadowing Scheme competition will perform live onstage to an invited audience as will all the shortlisted poets. The event will be streamed live into schools across the UK and beyond.