Group Reading from Reception to Year 2
This course will support teachers to plan for increased engagement and attainment in reading across Reception and KS1. Teachers attending the course will receive 2 quality texts and detailed planning grids so that they can put ideas from the course into practice immediately in their own classrooms.
Teachers will learn how to build a sequence of activities around core texts, targeting specific skills and strategies to improve reading fluency and comprehension.
Throughout the day, we will highlight the vital role quality children’s literature plays in supporting the journey of progression in reading, developing confident, competent and motivated readers.
The training day will focus on the following key areas:
- What does the reading journey look like?
- What do we mean by guiding reading?
- Learning to identify and teach targeted next steps.
- Developing dialogic reading in group sessions.
- Exploring the potential of key texts, exemplified through teaching sequences to support both early and fluent readers.
"Books allow children to experience through imagination other worlds and other roles, and this involvement contributes to their personal and social development as well as to their reading abilities. "Sainsbury and Schagen (2004)
“Very useful – really broadened my idea of what quality group reading looks like.”Teacher, 2016
“Encourages you to consider the impact your teaching has on the development of children’s reading.”Teacher, 2016