Developing Early Readers in Key Stage 2
This one day INSET will develop an understanding of how to teach and apply phonics in KS2 to ensure progress in reading and writing. Teachers will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency.
Throughout the day, we will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities.
Teachers will receive a resource pack featuring planning ideas for high quality texts aimed at Key Stage 2 Early Readers to exemplify how to reinforce the teaching of phonics within the wider reading curriculum.
Over the course of the day, the INSET will focus on how Key Stage 2 teachers can:
- Develop their understanding of the process of reading and writing
- Identify and address gaps in phonic development
- Understand the importance of early phonological development and providing meaningful activities to support learners
- Recognise the impact that the systematic teaching of phonics can have on children’s decoding and writing skills
- Clarify subject knowledge around the terminology related to phonics teaching and the expectations related to the pace and progression of learning
- Become familiar with the basic phonic code and teaching the core skills of blending and segmenting
- Become familiar with the complex phonics code and investigative approaches for helping children to understand patterns for reading and spelling
- Discover how to use quality texts to promote phonics and language learning
- Consider how to provide a broad and balanced reading curriculum to support the phonics programme
To book, please complete our booking enquiry form