Our Literacy Library
Our Literacy Library is now finished! We are so grateful for the amazing support from the world of children's books, literacy, primary teaching and many others to enable us to complete our vision.
Supporters have their names permanently displayed in our new library displaying their commitment to supporting children’s literacy if they bought a shelf, book case or an alcove.
Since it's launch in 2018, 2550 people have visited, whether that be to make use of the Library's 23,000 strong collection of children’s books; to hear from leading authors and illustrators, or to attend one of our, or our partners’, training and conference days. We have welcomed countless organisations including Fisher Family Trust, Coram Beanstalk, BookTrust, CILIP, UKLA, IBBY, Empathy Lab, National Theatre, We Are Waterloo, Branford Boase, Klaus Flugge, Cheltenham Literary Festival, Children’s Poetry Summit, National Writing Day, Little Rebels, the Booksellers Association.
We have also:
- Given 15,752 books to schools (a significant increase year on year)
- Worked with 90 Authors, Illustrators and Poets (double the number we worked with in 2016/17)
- Run 39 one day, two day or four day training courses for teachers
- Held 5 Conferences, 15 evening events (including a wedding!) and 5 book launches
- And been able to give work experience for five young people through the year
We are delighted we've had the chance to share our space with children's charities and literacy organisations through conference and room hire.
We hope you’ll be able to visit soon but, if you can’t, you can have a preview by watching our video below, which is narrated by Joseph Coelho using his poem There are Things That Lurk in a Library, from Overheard in a Tower Block, published by Otter Barry Books.