Raising Writing Standards through Book Making - Foundation to Year 8
This hands-on workshop gives teachers the opportunity to make a range of different book forms using paper and scissors. Book making allows children to explore the writing process in a meaningful way and this workshop will help encourage writing across the curriculum, from Primary to Secondary, and for all ability levels.
Who should attend?
Primary and Secondary teachers, teaching assistants, support workers, Early Years practitioners.
What you will learn:
Working with internationally renowned artist and educator Paul Johnson, teachers will take part in a highly practical session which will:
- Investigate how publication can support children’s editing skills and presentation handwriting.
- Explore how publishing writing authentically can impact children’s identity as writers.
- Cover a range of ways to celebrate and publish children’s writing.
What participants will receive?
Alongside ideas informed by key CLPE research on the Power Of Pictures, teachers will work closely with Paul to create their own books, will be supplied with worksheet diagrams to support all that books made, and will receive a copy of Paul's publication, Making Books .
This one day training will provide teachers with:
- A deeper understanding of the value of writing for an audience and for a real purpose
- Inspiration to use book-making to engage learners and boost children’s confidence and pride in their written work
- Creative strategies to help to narrow the gap between attainment in reading and writing
- A variety of activities to bring project and cross-curricular work alive
About Paul Johnson
Paul has an international reputation for his pioneering work in developing literacy through the book arts. He is author of over fifteen titles including Pop-up Paper Engineering, Get Writing! Ages 4-7, Get Writing! Ages 7-11 and Making Books.
See examples of Paul's work on his website.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
"It has offered ideas for us to use across all aspects of the curriculum, and will engage and excite children in their drafting, writing and editing"Teacher, 2018
"Book making helps children to develop as authors...it supports children at all stages of the writing process, but is particularly helpful to bilingual children who are learning English and to children who have reading and writing difficulties"The Reading Book, CLPE
"This will be an excellent tool for children to work with and to present their work. It will make great displays around my classroom which the children will take pride in, and look forward to writing for"Teacher, 2018