CLPE launches new home learning resources
The Teaching Team at CLPE have been working hard to meet schools' changing needs in these unprecedented times as pupils transition to home learning.
Following careful consultation with our Power of Reading Associate schools, we are pleased to launch Take 5: our brand new resources for Power of Reading schools to send home to parents. They are designed to allow children to develop their own responses to Power of Reading texts they may have studied or will be studying in school.
Each set of notes contains five simple activities which will develop children’s comprehension skills and strategies and develop their imagination and creativity for writing, linked to the National Curriculum.
The five key areas covered in the activities are:
- Explore it: Reading of text and/or illustrations and questions to develop children's awareness of language and vocabulary, including how this can be used for effect.
- Illustrate it: Drawing tasks to develop children's visualisation skills - a key aspect of comprehension.
- Talk about it: Questions or talking points to support children's understanding of key parts of the text, encouraging them to refer back to the text to support their ideas.
- Imagine it: Talking points and questions that encourage deeper responses to texts, thinking beyond the text and linking to real life knowledge and understanding.
- Create it: A range of different ideas for writing in response to a text, developing children's imagination and creative ideas.
These practical learning ideas make it easy for parents to engage children in reading through play and talk-based activities. Copies of the books are not needed to carry out these tasks as extracts are provided, but should parents wish to inspire further learning opportunities they can purchase the titles from our list of Independent Booksellers or through Hive.
Not yet on Power of Reading? Subscribe to our online resource here